A purpose-led enterprise with a vision of a society that understands pain
“Be the change you want to see in the world” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Chronic pain is the No.1 global health burden
UP exists to inspire, empower & enable society
The size of the problem
Current figures tell is the pain is the number one global health burden
- WHO Global Burden of Disease: in the top 20 leading causes of ‘years lost to disability’ (YLD)
- Number 2: back and neck pain
- Number 10: migraine
- Number 11: osteoarthritis
- Number 1: Unipolar depressive disorder is at No.1.
- Consider all the other conditions that are painful: diabetes, heart disease, cancer, irritable bowel syndrome, pelvic pain, endometriosis, inflammatory disorders etc.
- Europe: up to €441 billion each year (SIP, 2017)
- 100 million sufferers across Europe — in addition, think of families, friends and carers
The costs mount when you consider the expense of treatments, many of which are unproven or ineffective, investigations, may of which are unnecessary, and loss of productivity. The cost to the individual and his or her family are immeasurable in terms of suffering. This is a public health issue, not a medical issue.
Many other conditions take the headlines, but pain is often the primary reason for seeking help. Think about how many conditions beyond the obvious back pain, neck pain and arthritic pain, include the experience of pain. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, rheumatological conditions, gastrointestinal conditions; it goes on and on. We can probably all think of someone who suffers on-going or persistent pain and the suffering it causes.
A world where pain is understood so that people know they can overcome their suffering and focus on living well
- 2017 ~ the re-launch of UP as a social enterprise
- 2017 ~ the launch of our new website: all you need to know about pain and the practical skills of well-being; tapping into your potential
- Speaking and writing about pain across media platforms to reach across the globe
- Workshops for people in pain and training for clinicians and therapists
- Addressing the inequality in care delivery by giving access to all
Because there is so much suffering across the globe and there is something that we can and must do about it.
We believe that any condition that is painful requires accurate and compassionate assessment and treatment based upon the latest understanding of pain. Within the treatment programme, it is vital that the person understands their pain and the influences so that they realise their potential for change and how to overcome their pain, resuming a meaningful life. Everyone has the right to this information.
~ be inspired to live well
Each person has incredible resources and potential. We are designed to change, to learn and to grow. Tapping into our natural abilities creates the right conditions and the opportunity to move forwards in a desired direction. Understanding pain creates the platform from where the individual can use a range of practices to focus on living well and overcoming their pain.
Our story so far….
The UP campaign was co-founded by Richmond Stace and Georgie Standage. We launched the campaign with a singing event at Heathrow Terminal 5 in March 2015 with over 700 Rock Choir members performing. It was amazing!
Now we are taking the project forwards by re-launching as a social enterprise. This gives UP the vehicle to deliver our vision globally. We have a purpose that is to reduce the suffering and the costs associated with pain by giving people the knowledge and skills. As a social enterprise we will connect with policymakers, healthcare organisations, charities and others to reach across society.