A social enterprise with the purpose of helping people understand their pain and learn how to improve their lives.
Co-founder of UP Richmond Stace runs an ultramarathon each month to raise awareness of the problem of pain ~ read here
Visit the Resource pages for the Pain Points Series to start understanding your pain
Are you a GP wanting resources for patients or a way to get the most of your consultations? See here
Chronic pain is the No.1 global health burden
UP exists to improve lives and society
The size of the problem
- WHO Global Burden of Disease: in the top 20 leading causes of ‘years lost to disability’ (YLD)
- Number 2: back and neck pain
- Number 10: migraine
- Number 11: osteoarthritis
- Number 1: Unipolar depressive disorder is at No.1.
- Consider all the other conditions that are painful: diabetes, heart disease, cancer, irritable bowel syndrome, pelvic pain, endometriosis, inflammatory disorders etc.
- Europe: up to €441 billion each year (SIP, 2017)
- 100 million sufferers across Europe — in addition, think of families, friends and carers
The cost to the individual and his or her family are immeasurable in terms of suffering. This is a public health issue.
Many other conditions take the headlines, but pain is often the primary reason for seeking help. Think about how many conditions beyond the obvious back pain, neck pain and arthritic pain, include the experience of pain. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, rheumatological conditions, gastrointestinal conditions; it goes on and on. We can probably all think of someone who suffers on-going or persistent pain and the suffering it causes.
A world where pain is understood so that people know they can overcome their suffering and focus on living well
- #upandrun ~ a project combining running marathons and ultramarathons to raise awareness of the problem of pain + UP workshops for people suffering pain to come and understand their pain and learn what they can do to improve their lives
- An online resource as a go-to for the latest information about pain and practices that help you to improve your life; see the Pain Points page to start understanding your pain
- Social media >> follow Painphysio and Upandlivewell on Twitter
Because we can reduce suffering by improving lives.
We believe that any condition that is painful requires accurate and compassionate assessment and treatment based upon the latest understanding of pain. Within the treatment programme, it is vital that the person understands their pain and the influences so that they realise their potential for change and how to overcome their pain, resuming a meaningful life. Everyone has the right to this information.
be inspired to live well
Each person has incredible resources and potential. We are designed to change, to learn and to grow. Tapping into our natural abilities creates the right conditions and the opportunity to move forwards in a desired direction. Understanding pain creates the platform from where the individual can use a range of practices to focus on living well.