Welcome to Understand Pain (UP)
Our purpose is to help you understand your pain and improve your life
We believe that there is great hope.
The blend of science and philosophy has resulted in many advances in how we think about pain and the practical solutions we can offer to those suffering.
At UP, we want to share this hope.
See the Research corner and Resources section for more.
You may like to read the UP stories.
One of our aims is to raise the awareness of the global problem of chronic pain. Many people do not know the extent of the issue that affects so many people across society.
Co-founder of UP Richmond Stace runs ultramarathons to raise awareness of the problem of pain: #upandrun project
Chronic pain is the one of the most pressing global health issues
The size of the problem
- WHO Global Burden of Disease: in the top 20 leading causes of ‘years lost to disability’ (YLD)
- Number 2: back and neck pain
- Number 10: migraine
- Number 11: osteoarthritis
- Number 1: Unipolar depressive disorder is at No.1.
- Consider all the other conditions that are painful: diabetes, heart disease, cancer, irritable bowel syndrome, pelvic pain, endometriosis, inflammatory disorders etc.
- Europe: up to €441 billion each year (SIP, 2017)
- 100 million sufferers across Europe — in addition, think of families, friends and carers
The cost to the individual and his or her family are immeasurable in terms of suffering.
Many other conditions take the headlines, but pain is often the primary reason for seeking help. Think about how many conditions beyond the obvious back pain, neck pain and arthritic pain, include the experience of pain. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, rheumatological conditions, gastrointestinal conditions; it goes on and on. We can probably all think of someone who suffers on-going or persistent pain and the suffering it causes.
A world where pain is understood so that people know they can overcome their suffering and focus on living well
be inspired to live well