A purpose-led enterprise with a vision of a society that understands pain
“Be the change you want to see in the world” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Read about the #upandrun project here ~ an ultramarathon a month for 12 months + UP workshops
Next UP Workshop Sept 18th >> tickets
Chronic pain is the No.1 global health burden
UP exists to inspire, empower & enable society
The size of the problem
Current figures tell us that pain is the number one global health burden
- WHO Global Burden of Disease: in the top 20 leading causes of ‘years lost to disability’ (YLD)
- Number 2: back and neck pain
- Number 10: migraine
- Number 11: osteoarthritis
- Number 1: Unipolar depressive disorder is at No.1.
- Consider all the other conditions that are painful: diabetes, heart disease, cancer, irritable bowel syndrome, pelvic pain, endometriosis, inflammatory disorders etc.
- Europe: up to €441 billion each year (SIP, 2017)
- 100 million sufferers across Europe — in addition, think of families, friends and carers
The costs mount when you consider the expense of treatments, many of which are unproven or ineffective, investigations, may of which are unnecessary, and loss of productivity. The cost to the individual and his or her family are immeasurable in terms of suffering. This is a public health issue, not a medical issue.
Many other conditions take the headlines, but pain is often the primary reason for seeking help. Think about how many conditions beyond the obvious back pain, neck pain and arthritic pain, include the experience of pain. Cancer, diabetes, heart disease, rheumatological conditions, gastrointestinal conditions; it goes on and on. We can probably all think of someone who suffers on-going or persistent pain and the suffering it causes.
A world where pain is understood so that people know they can overcome their suffering and focus on living well
- #upandrun ~ a project combining running marathons and ultramarathons to raise awareness of the problem of pain + UP workshops for people suffering pain to come and understand their pain and learn what they can do to improve their lives
- An online resource as a go-to for the latest information about pain and practices that help you to improve your life; see the Pain Points page to start understanding your pain
- Social media >> follow Painphysio and Upandlivewell on Twitter
Because there is so much suffering across the globe and there is something that we can and must do about it.
We believe that any condition that is painful requires accurate and compassionate assessment and treatment based upon the latest understanding of pain. Within the treatment programme, it is vital that the person understands their pain and the influences so that they realise their potential for change and how to overcome their pain, resuming a meaningful life. Everyone has the right to this information.
~ be inspired to live well
Each person has incredible resources and potential. We are designed to change, to learn and to grow. Tapping into our natural abilities creates the right conditions and the opportunity to move forwards in a desired direction. Understanding pain creates the platform from where the individual can use a range of practices to focus on living well and overcoming their pain.